This braised, slow-cooked technique implies that the meat is tender and rendered scrumptious by the lengthy, gradual cooking, falling off the bone and bathed in a wealthy, concentrated sauce.
Prep time: quarter-hour | Cooking time: 5 hours, plus 10 minutes resting
4 to 6
- 3 medium onions
- 6 massive waxy potatoes (use Desiree if you may get them; you should utilize white potatoes as a substitute however they are going to go a bit mushy when cooked)
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2kg lamb shoulder
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 700g hen inventory
- Spring greens or cabbage, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 150C/130C fan/Gasoline 2.
- Slice the onions and potato into discs about 2mm thickness and unfold them evenly in a roasting dish, one massive sufficient to carry the lamb shoulder. Season the potatoes and onion very generously. Add the sprig of rosemary.
- Rub the lamb throughout with the olive oil to make sure it browns evenly. Reduce the garlic cloves in half. Utilizing the tip of a pointy knife, make slits evenly over the lamb and push the garlic slivers into these. Be sure that they’re pushed proper in to stop any uncovered bits burning. Season the lamb effectively.
- Put the lamb on high of the potatoes and onions and pour the hen inventory in.
- Prepare dinner, uncovered, for about 4 hours, then flip the oven right down to 130C/110C fan/Gasoline ½ for the final hour. These timings might differ so test that the lamb is falling off the bone earlier than serving. Take away from the oven and depart for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime cook dinner some spring greens or cabbage.
- Transfer the lamb to a plate and take away the meat from the bone and placed on every plate. With a big serving spoon, spoon the onions and potatoes onto every plate and serve with the spring greens or cabbage.