The vitamin program at Somerville-Cambridge Elder Companies (SCES) is celebrating Nationwide Vitamin Month 2021 by sharing tips on wholesome meals and life-style selections.
Noticed every March, Nationwide Vitamin Month is sponsored by the Academy of Vitamin and Dietetics. Talking throughout a current webinar to mark the event, SCES Dietitian Andrea Svartstrom mentioned the annual marketing campaign promotes good meals selections and wholesome routines.
“It’s a good time to deal with wholesome consuming, study extra about vitamin, set wholesome objectives for your self, and see what works finest for you,” she mentioned.
The theme for Nationwide Vitamin Month 2021 is Personalize Your Plate, and Svartstrom mentioned that displays how there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all method to vitamin and well being. The session was co-hosted by Dietitian Candace Quigley of Mystic Valley Elder Companies, who suggested discovering the fitting mix of meals and objectives that work. The ideas they supplied included:
- Fill half of your plate with fruit and veggies
- Set up a wholesome consuming routine that features a mixture of fruits, greens, grains, protein meals, and dairy.
- Strive fruit with breakfast, as a snack, or as an alternative choice to sugary deserts
- Experiment with new greens, or attempt new methods to organize previous favorites. In addition they make a wholesome snack.
- When doable, go together with entire grain or entire wheat for bread and pasta. Swap out brown rice for white.
- For protein, attempt consuming seafood twice per week, and embody plant-based sources comparable to beans, nuts and seeds.
- With dairy, go for low fats or fat-free variations of milk, yogurt, cheese or calcium fortified soymilk.
- Restrict saturated fats, sodium, and added sugars
The presentation additionally outlined advantages of a wholesome consuming routine and strategies for setting well being objectives to get began. To look at the entire video, go to the SCES web site (eldercare.org) or Youtube Channel and search Nationwide Vitamin Month 2021.
Somerville-Cambridge Elder Companies supplies a variety of vitamin providers, which embody Meals on Wheels, training and counseling for vitamin purchasers, and reduced-price vitamin dietary supplements.
Somerville-Cambridge Elder Companies is a non-profit company that helps the independence and well-being of older adults in Somerville and Cambridge. For extra details about SCES vitamin packages, or free recommendation and steering on questions of growing old, caregiving or incapacity, name our Growing old Data Middle at 617-628-2601 or e mail firstname.lastname@example.org. For extra details about Nationwide Vitamin Month 2021, go to www.eatright.org.