Nation cooking elicits visions of straight-from-the-garden greens and farm-fresh meats and dairy. For these in the USA, nation cooking and Southern cooking could also be regarded as interchangeable, as so many homespun meals are made that rather more scrumptious with some southern affect.
Buttermilk-infused recipes are a part of any nation prepare dinner’s repertoire, as are crispy, fried meals. That’s the pairing on this scrumptious facet dish or appetizer for “Buttermilk-Battered Okra Fries With Comeback Sauce” from Southern Appetizers: 60 Delectables for Gracious Get-Togethers (Chronicle Books) by Denise Gee.
Buttermilk-Battered Okra Fries With Comeback Sauce
(About six fries every; makes 2 cups sauce)
1 cup mayonnaise
¼ cup chili sauce
¼ cup ketchup
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced, or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons finely grated candy or white onion or ¼ teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon or yellow mustard
1 teaspoon floor black pepper
1 teaspoon scorching sauce
¼ teaspoon scorching or smoked paprika
Canola or corn oil for frying
8 ounces small to medium okra pods, stemmed and halved lengthwise
1 cup buttermilk (or sufficient to cowl okra)
1 cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup cornstarch
½ teaspoon floor black pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (non-compulsory)
To make the sauce:
- In a meals processor, purée the mayonnaise, chili sauce, ketchup, olive oil, garlic, onion, Worcestershire, lemon juice, mustard, black pepper, scorching sauce, and paprika. (Or use a medium bowl and whisk to mix all of the elements.)
- Season with salt, if wanted, cowl tightly, and let the sauce sit in a single day within the fridge earlier than serving.
To make the okra:
- Place a number of layers of paper towels atop a paper bag or platter. Maintain it near the place you’ll be frying.
- In an electrical fryer, Dutch oven, or heavy cast-iron skillet, add canola oil to a depth of two to 4 inches. Warmth to 350 °F. (In the event you’re not utilizing an electrical fryer, use a fry/sweet thermometer to make sure the temperature stays constant.)
- In a medium bowl, soak the sliced okra within the buttermilk and put aside.
- In a big paper bag or massive plastic zip-top bag, mix the flour, cornstarch, ½ teaspoon salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne (if utilizing).
- Drain the buttermilk-soaked okra and dredge it within the flour combination. Rigorously shake off any extra flour. Fry in batches of seven or eight items for two to three minutes or till crispy and lightweight golden brown, turning them fastidiously halfway by way of.
- Use a fry basket or slotted spoon to take away the okra to empty on the paper towels. Whereas nonetheless scorching, season the okra with extra salt, if desired.
Serve the okra fries instantly with the sauce.
The recipe and photograph above are licensed by way of Metro Inventive Providers.