Precious little effort required. The second bake – of stuffing and resealing, then placing the potatoes again within the embers to warmth by, for the cheese to melt and ooze – is nothing however a bonus. Select sensibly sized potatoes, nothing huge, in any other case they’ll take an age to cook dinner.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 4 medium-sized baking potatoes
- 8 rashers of streaky bacon
- Olive oil
- 300g garlic and herb mushy cheese (2 packs)
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Pierce the potatoes throughout with a fork or sharp knife – you have to to do that, in any other case they could explode within the fireplace.
- Wrap every potato in foil then prepare within the fireplace or barbecue embers and cook dinner for about 60-90 minutes, turning each 20 minutes, till utterly tender.
- In the meantime, cook dinner the bacon in a pan or on the grill till crisp and golden. Put to 1 facet.
- In the direction of the ultimate quarter-hour of the potatoes’ cooking time, unseal the parcels, nonetheless protecting the underside of every potato within the foil, and add pinch of salt and a drizzle of olive oil. With the foil nonetheless loosened, proceed cooking for an extra quarter-hour or so, to permit the potato skins to crisp a little bit.
- Reduce a deep cross into every potato and squeeze open. Add the bacon, mushy cheese and spring onions, loosely reseal within the foil and pop every potato again within the warmth supply for 5-10 minutes, for the cheese to melt and soften and the bacon to heat up. Serve instantly.
Recipe from Camper Van Cooking (Quadrille, £20). Order a replica from books.telegraph.co.uk.