Within the U.S., about 4.2 million adults over the age of 40 are both legally blind or endure from impaired imaginative and prescient. Age-related eye problems equivalent to macular degeneration, cataract, diabetic retinopathy, and glaucoma are the main causes of blindness and poor imaginative and prescient amongst People. An vital facet of illness prevention is being conscious of the situation, the danger components, and understanding the preventive measures, says Dr. Sumathi Venkatesh, a well being specialist with Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service. Many of those eye illnesses could be detected early by annual complete eye examinations permitting applicable remedy to stop imaginative and prescient loss and impairment. Being chubby or overweight and having medical situations equivalent to diabetes or hypertension could irritate your threat for eye issues. When you’ve got any of those threat components, discuss to your doctor about managing your weight and well being. A number of eye illnesses could be prevented by a wholesome life-style and by utilizing correct protecting eye gear. The Nationwide Eye Institute recommends the next preventive measures to guard your eyes:
• Routine eye care — Take note of modifications in your imaginative and prescient. Contact your eye care supplier in case your imaginative and prescient is blurry or when you’ve got bother seeing. Schedule complete eye exams frequently. A dilated eye examination will allow early detection and remedy of eye illnesses.
• Good diet — Devour a well-balanced food plan loaded with vegatables and fruits, particularly darkish inexperienced leafy greens (e.g., spinach and kale), entire grains, low-fat dairy merchandise, and a wide range of protein meals. Meals containing omega-3 fatty acids equivalent to fish, vegetable oils, nuts, and seeds could assist with coronary heart well being and regulating blood strain and blood levels of cholesterol thus stopping the event of eye problems.
• Be energetic — Common bodily exercise promotes total well being and helps to stop and handle coronary heart illness, hypertension and diabetes. Adults want about half-hour of bodily exercise on most days. Attempt incorporating train in your every day actions equivalent to gardening, doing family chores, or taking the steps at work.
• Give up smoking — Smoking could hurt a number of organs in our physique together with our eyes. Smoking can harm the optic nerves and should enhance the danger for age-related macular degeneration, cataract, glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, and dry eyes syndrome.
• Restrict display screen time — Extended display screen time could make your eyes drained and dry. Comply with the 20-20-20 rule. Take a break each 20 minutes by one thing that’s 20 toes away for 20 seconds. To scale back eye pressure, modify your display screen lighting, place the display screen to scale back glare, and use blue gentle filters.
• Shield your eyes — Keep away from trying straight on the solar. Put on sun shades, particularly ones that block over 99% of UVA and UVB radiation. Use protecting eye gear when utilizing chemical substances, taking part in sports activities, engaged on building tasks, and when mowing your garden. Ensure your palms are clear whenever you put on and take away your contacts. Disinfect your contacts and substitute them when they’re due.
For extra data and assets on eye well being, go to the Nationwide Eye Institute at www.nei.nih.gov/ and the Facilities of Illness Management and Prevention’s Imaginative and prescient Well being Initiative atwww.cdc.gov/visionhealth/index.htm. For packages on diet, bodily exercise, coronary heart well being, diabetes, and blood strain administration, contact the Parker County Extension Workplace at 817-598-6168 or look us up on the internet at www.parker.agrilife.org.
Kathy Smith is a Texas A&M AgriLife extension agent in Parker County.