Tinned San Marzano tomatoes are wonderful, simply pretty much as good as something recent. Plus, they’re the right store-cupboard ingredient. I do know I can all the time make a scrumptious plate of pasta with a few tins plucked from the shelf. This easy, flavoursome tomato sauce is finest served with spaghetti or spaghettini.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cooking time: 1 hour
Sufficient to serve two with pasta
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and finely chopped
- 1 x 400g tin good-quality plum tomatoes, ideally the Italian San Marzano selection
- A pinch of caster sugar
- Warmth the olive oil gently in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for quarter-hour till mushy however not colored – this can actually assist to deliver out the flavour and sweetness of the onion.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and a pinch of sugar and cook dinner for 35-45 minutes over a really low warmth, uncovered, till you could have a pleasant thick sauce. Use a whisk to interrupt up the tomatoes. Verify the seasoning.
- Both use immediately or enable to chill and retailer within the fridge till prepared to make use of. This can maintain within the fridge for 3 days.
- Serve with pasta completed with recent torn basil leaves and grated parmesan.