Assets that can assist you empower your sufferers to construct and keep wholesome habits.
The final yr has been difficult for all of us, and it might have been troublesome on your sufferers with or in danger for diabetes to take care of a wholesome consuming sample and bodily exercise routine. Encourage your sufferers to take cost of managing their weight and bodily exercise habits. Emphasize taking small steps so it feels much less overwhelming. Steered steps would possibly embrace
- breaking apart train by taking 2- to 3-minute strolling breaks a number of instances a day
- lowering display time and the time spent sitting, even taking part in a sport or recreation outdoors with their household
- including movement to their day, akin to making routine duties like sweeping, lifting groceries, vacuuming, and yard work a part of a bodily exercise plan
- having wholesome snacks and meals which are low in added sugar and salt
- utilizing a meals diary to trace meals, which will help them uncover make adjustments in what they eat and drink to assist them shed some pounds
For extra steering, take a look at 5 earlier weblog posts beneath with sources and suggestions for working with sufferers on weight administration and wholesome residing.
- Obesity Management in People with Diabetes
Scott Kahan, MD, MPH, discusses suggestions and sources that well being care professionals can use to handle weight problems and weight administration in sufferers with diabetes.
- Prescribing Exercise for Almost Anyone
Sheri Colberg, PhD, FACSM, shares methods to assist sufferers with diabetes be extra lively and recommends well being care professionals focus their train prescriptions on what’s going to be satisfying to their sufferers if you would like it to stay.
- Popular Diets and Patient Support
Christopher Gardner, PhD, talks about his analysis on well-liked weight-loss diets, the 4 basic rules of wholesome consuming, and the way well being care professionals will help sufferers discover an consuming sample that works for them.
- Getting Your Patient Active Their Way
Study efficient methods that can assist you discuss together with your sufferers about bodily exercise, together with prompt responses to some frequent self-defeating boundaries.
- Teens, Genes, and Food Choices: What Contributes to Adolescent Obesity?
Paule V. Joseph, PhD, MS, FNP-BC, RN, CTN-B, talks in regards to the rise of weight problems in adolescents, the diabetes-related well being implications, and what well being care professionals can do to scale back younger individuals’s threat for weight problems.
Go to our Weight Management and Healthy Living Tips page for extra info, together with a toolkit with a flyer and shareable social media posts.
What has helped your sufferers handle their weight and keep bodily lively? Inform us within the feedback.